Friday, March 6, 2009

Introduction

The following covers about 14 years of work. Rather than present the images in strictly chronological order, I’ve broken them into thematic groupings in order to highlight the continuity of certain ideas, materials and approaches over time. These groups are, however, approximate and therefore cross over and break down at certain points. Hopefully this approach will be more illuminating than confusing.

A note on titles: I generally do not title my work. One quality I strive for is a kind of phenomenological dead-pan which I find titles tend to undermine (a title implies a wider context within which the work is explicable). For the purposes of the following image index, however, I may refer to a work by the thematic grouping in which it can be located (i.e. “Cast Rubber” #8). This should, however, not be understood as the piece’s title.